Contact Us     Home

Local Services

Utilities

Library

Sacred Heart School and Lawrence/Nelson Elementary School have libraries available to the public.

Education

Lawrence is a part of the South Central Nebraska Unified School District 5 which includes Lawrence, Nelson and Sandy Creek. The Lawrence and Nelson school districts merged in 2006 with the high school located in Nelson. Visit the Lawrence/Nelson Raiders website at http://southcentralunified.org

Also included in the District and located In Lawrence are:

Area Colleges

Health Care

Hospitals

Area Doctors

Area Dentists

Senior Care

Assisted Living Facilities

Nursing Homes

Churches

Sacred Heart Church and School
Catholics living in the Lawrence area came from various cultures, especially German, Bohemian or Czechoslovakian descent. The first Sacred Heart Church was erected in 1893. The first Mass was celebrated by Rev. Alois J. Klein on Sunday August 27, 1893. Andrew Bohnart donated an acre of land for a cemetery, located a mile and one-half east of the Village. The first rectory was built in 1898 and a chapel was built on the cemetery grounds in 1910. The first convent for the Sisters of Notre Dame was built in 1949.

Today Sacred Heart Catholic Church is a vital part of the community with Father Thomas Bush serving as parish priest. Church organizations include the Altar Society, Quilting Club, Knights of Columbus, and the Sacred Heart Catholic Church Trustees. The Keenagers, a senior organization, meets monthly. For more information phone 756-7061 or call the rectory at 756-7393.

 Sacred Heart School
Within years of the formation of the parish, the need for religious instruction of children was felt strongly by most people in the parish. The first school was started in 1898 on the first floor of the rectory, which consisted of two rooms. In 1901, a combination school and convent was built to accommodate both a larger enrollment and the arrival of the School Sisters of Notre Dame of St. Louis Missouri. The arrival of the nuns marked the beginning of an 86-year cooperative effort of the parish and the Sisters of Notre Dame in the education of the youth of the parish. The present school was built in 1917 and has been in use since that time.

St. Stephen Church
The Catholics in St. Stephen were primarily of German descent. The first Mass in Nuckolls County was said in the Schumm family dugout in 1875, being the birthdate of St. Stephen as a parish. In 1876 a log church was erected and the first Mass in the log cabin was on September 21, 1877. A new church was built in the early 1880’s. A two-story frame residence and a small frame school was built in the early 1880’s and In 1893 a larger and more substantial frame school was built. In the fall of 1946, a new church and rectory were erected and on January 29, 1948 it was dedicated. A new convent, which would house the Dominican nuns of Great Bend, Kansas was being erected and in August 1961 the convent was put into use by three nuns who taught at the school.

St. Stephen School
For the early settlers in the St Stephen community, a catholic school was a must. A school was started and classes were held in the log church with about 30 pupils. About 1889 a new school building was built with three classrooms and living quarters for the Ursuline Nuns, who came to staff the school in 1890. In 1983 the school was consolidated with Sacred Heart in Lawrence.

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was a rural congregation located in Webster county four miles south and two miles west of Lawrence. Many of the early settlers from the village attended this church. In the year 1888, the church was organized with seven families. In the spring of 1950 the church jointed with the Salem church at Rosemont where services are still held there today.

Other Organizations

Lawrence American Legion and Auxiliary
Post 45 recognizes Veterans and others on Memorial day with visits to five local cemeteries. The Post sponsors scholarships, Girl and Boys State week in Lincoln and many other events throughout the year.

Lawrence Community Club
We have established the Lawrence Community Foundation. Donations can be made by contacting Farmers & Merchants Bank at (402) 756-7402.

4-H Clubs

Softball and Baseball Teams
The fast-pitch softball teams have numerous league, district and state wins. The Fast Pitch 18-Under Team were Class D State Champions in 2004, 2005 and 2006 and Class C Runnerup in 2007. The 14-Under team was Class D State Champions in 2007. Age groups include 10-Under, 12-Under, 14-Under and 18-Under.

The baseball program also show pride with their array of trophies through out the years. The program offers Coach Pitch, Little League, Junior and Senior Legion Teams.